10 Daily Practices to Feed Your Mind
Did you know that you have a direct effect on your mental well-being every day? While there are many outside forces that can make you happy or sad, there are many small habits you can incorporate into your daily routine to dramatically improve your happiness. Here are some of the ways that you can maintain your personal happiness every day of the year.
- Read a new book or article every day for an hour. This is a great way to boost your brain and your mental happiness. In times of struggle and in times of happiness, there are few better ways to escape your current state of mind than reading a great book.
- Make a point of learning something new every day, whether it’s a fact about someone that you didn’t know or a skill that you are practicing.
- Take time every morning to think of three different things that you are grateful for. Keep a journal on your bedside table and write them down every day. On days when you are having trouble seeing the good in your life, sit down and read the journal to remind yourself of all of the positive things in your life.
- Pray every morning when you get up, regardless of your religious affiliation.
- Set a timer for five minutes every day and meditate when you wake up. These five minutes of relaxation and centering will boost your mood as you go about your morning routine and head to work for the day.
- One day a week, fast all morning. This weekly fasting practice helps to regulate your appetite and teaches you to focus on what you are eating instead of when you are eating it.
- If you struggle to feel productive every day, make a list of three things to accomplish every morning. When the day is over, review your list and see if you managed to cross them off.
- Do you have problems with negative thoughts about yourself? Three times a day practice catching your negative thoughts and turning them into positive statements.
- Keep a journal that you write in every night before bed to jot down your joys and your struggles. Journals are useful to look back on during happy periods and sad periods to remember what you have been through.
- To keep your brain sharp and your mind active, complete a puzzle every day. Whether you love word searches or crossword puzzles, taking half an hour during lunch to complete a puzzle instead of scrolling through Facebook can make a big difference in your mental happiness.
What mental practices do you use to boost your happiness? Share your experience in the comments!