During the warm months of summer, it’s hard to find much personal happiness in cleaning the house or lingering in the heat more than you need to. Luckily, there are many simple tips and tricks that you can use to keep your home clean and cool this summer (and boost your personal happiness as well!).
Keeping Your Home Tidy
A tidy home helps to maintain a clean and happy mind, especially during the hot and sticky summer months. To keep things looking great all summer long, start by:
- Setting up a spot to put summer and outdoor activities the moment that you get inside so that they don’t accumulate or make clutter in your entryway.
- Keeping messy activities, like slicing up watermelon or summer crafts, outdoors for simpler clean-up.
- If you have children who are home for the summer, don’t be afraid to assign them small tasks to do like the dishes or taking out the trash.
- Setting a timer for 15 minutes every afternoon and clean up as much as you possibly can. This tip takes only a few minutes out of your day and makes a big impact.
Keeping Your Home Cool
Aside from cranking up the air conditioner, there are many ways that you can keep cool around the house that are cost-effective and simple. Some of my favorite ways to beat the heat indoors include:
- Closing the blinds, as a whopping 30% of the heat in your home comes in through your windows
- Closing the doors to rooms that you aren’t currently using to prevent valuable cold air from entering the places you are not using.
- Moving a fan to the areas of the home you occupy as you occupy them instead of turning on the air conditioning for the whole home.
- Switching out the sheets from warm fleece ones to a lighter and breathable cotton material.
- Drinking cool drinks and using cold cloths to stay cool. Remember that none of your ancestors had air conditioning, and they survived just fine!
- Cracking the windows at night to let cooler air flow in before the warm air of the morning enters.
How do you increase your personal happiness inside during the summer months? Comment below!